I’m a big fan of drinking green smoothies and if there is one thing I could get you to start doing today to change your health, it would be loading up on these healthy green drinks. Today I’m doing something a bit different and sharing a video with you to help inspire you to jump start your health with a green smoothie!
Green smoothies have a ton of benefits, such as:
- Green smoothies are perfect for enhancing the immune system, purifying the blood, and rejuvenating the body. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll, and many other micronutrients. Since you are consuming the greens raw, you are also getting the full nutritional value of the greens as well as their digestive enzymes.
- Green smoothies are really easy to digest. Since the greens are blended up, your body doesn’t have to work as hard in order to extract the nutrients and it is much easier on your digestive system. So, if you are someone that has digestive issues, this is a perfect way to add more fruits and veggies into your diet.
- Green smoothies are fabulous for kids! If you have children or teenagers, I highly encourage you to make a green smoothie with them. The key is to get them involved and let them help make the smoothie so they feel like they are part of the process (rather than being pressured into drinking something unfamiliar). I have honestly make this smoothie with well over 300 children over the last two years and it always amazes parents what kids will drink when they get to be involved in the process.
- Green smoothies reduce your cravings! When I work with clients in my health coaching practice one of the first things I will get them to do is start drinking green smoothies. Most of them will immediately notice a decrease in sugar cravings because they are crowding out those less-healthy foods and their body will naturally start to crave fresh foods.
If you are ready to have more energy and change your health, start with a green smoothie.
Helpful tips for beginners:
- It’s okay to start slow. If you have never had dark, leafy greens before or are nervous about adding them to the smoothie, start with a small amount. You can always add more later and there is no reason to overload your drink in the beginning and then gross yourself out! For beginners, I recommend starting with a 3:1 ratio of fruit to greens.
- The key to making the smoothie delicious (besides the ratio of ingredients) is having the right texture. It’s definitely easier to make a green smoothie properly if you have a high-speed blender with a powerful motor (I use a Vitamix 5200), but if you don’t have a high-speed blender, start by blending your greens and liquid completely before adding any fruit. This will ensure that your greens are completely liquefied and there are no green chunks left in the smoothie!
- Use frozen fruit instead of ice to make it cold and creamy! Frozen bananas, frozen mango, frozen berries, and other frozen fruit make the texture smoother than using non-frozen fruit and adding ice.
- 1 cup of raw greens (kale, chard, collards, spinach, etc)
- 1.5 cups liquid (non-dairy milk, fresh juice, coconut water, green tea, or water)
- 1 frozen banana (remove the peel, cut into 1-inch slices, and freeze overnight)
- 1 cup of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries)
- Remove any tough stems from the greens. Blend greens and liquid for 15 seconds - 1 minute (depending on your blender) on high. Add fruits and blend for 15 - 30 seconds, or longer as needed to achieve a creamy consistency. Drink up!