Things I love about summertime...
- The way my kitchen always smells like a juice bar
- Sleeping with the windows wide open
- Biting into cool, crisp watermelon slices
- Mock tuna salads
Things that drive me crazy about summer time...
- The way my kitchen is always swarming with fruit flies
- Waking to the sound of chirping birds at 5 am and my cat trying to rip out the screen in order to get to them
- Biting into mushy watermelon slices
- Running out of my favorite mock tuna salad
For someone that can't stand the thought of seafood or the smell of the ocean, I am oddly obsessed with mock tuna salads, especially in summer. Every time I am at a new restaurant and see a mock tuna salad on the menu I have to try it. My obsession finally got to the point where I knew it was time to make my own version so I could have it whenever I wanted. And so I did.
Tempeh of the Sea
1 -8 oz package plain tempeh, crumbled
1/4 medium red onion, diced
2 green onions, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
3 Tablespoons sweet relish
1 cup cashew mayo (or vegan mayo of your choice)
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
sea salt and pepper to taste
Crumble tempeh and mix with the red onion, green onion, celery, relish, mayo and brown mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold or grilled.